Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 5- A Favorite Quote!

Ok, so I already fell a bit behind. What can I say? It's been a crazy and difficult few days. I'll try not to let it happen again. At least I've done a couple extra credit blogs in the past so I don't feel too bad about it. Let's just continue as if nothing happened, deal? Deal.

As you may have already deduced from the title of this blog, today I'm supposed to write about a favorite quote of mine. Luckily, I was able to locate this fancy image which includes the quote I was planning to use:

Ah, I love Star Trek!

Haha! Zing!  Not really. The actual quote I thought to use is applicable to anybody who may be unhappy with what they have.  

I read it a few years ago in Bob Dylan's extremely enjoyable autobiographical work, Bob Dylan Chronicles Volume I. I highly recommend this book even if you're not a fan of Dylan's music. It's full of interesting observations, great humor and a surprising amount of wisdom for a book written by an old rockstar. I think the quote I've chosen is indicative of the folksy wisdom you will find inside:

 "If you don't have all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don't have that you don't want. 

As I recall it was a piece of advice taught to him by his grandmother when he was a child that he has carried with him throughout his life. I think it's brilliant. I may not have a great job but I don't have cancer either. When you think about that and you know that there are people in this world that do have to deal with that terrible illness, how can you possibly complain? Or what if you do have cancer? There's always something worse that you could have that would add to your misery. 

It also reminds me of the old Simon and Garfunkel song, "Richard Corey". It's about an extremely wealthy man who is very important and respected in his community. It is written from the perspective of a man who works for Mr. Corey in a factory and is envious of his seemingly perfect lifestyle. At the end of the song, the man reads in the newspaper that Richard Corey, much to his surprise had committed suicide the previous evening. Obviously, Richard had problems that the narrator in his jealousy hadn't considered. If he had considered them, I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to have to deal with those problems and would rather keep his own lifestyle instead, no matter how unglamorous it may be. 

No matter how difficult your circumstance is, things could always be worse. Be grateful for the things you don't have that you don't want. 

2 comments: