Thursday, September 1, 2011

Woo! Creativity!

For as long as I can remember I've always had the greatest admiration for creative types. If you're a musician, artist, designer, writer, etcetera and you can easily and effortlessly create things out of thin air that didn't exist before you made them, I think you're amazing and I think we should probably hang out more often than we do. (But you never call!)
For many of us creativity is a very difficult process and it takes much concentrated effort for us to create anything at all. When we do we often end up with lame, lackluster, Leno-nian quality results. Sadly, I feel that I fit very snuggly into this depressing category.

In the past, instead of even making an attempt at creating something, I would often decide that the end result wouldn't be worth the seemingly herculean effort and imminent frustration of getting it done.

 I'd usually end up thinking, "It is a hard thing which I have required of me"(see: Laman and/or Lemuel) and I'd decide that my time would be better spent on other worthy pursuits (see: a blissful afternoon's slumber). 
                                         


Well,  the past is past and the future is now! Awhile back I found this helpful little list of 33 ways to stay creative and I can tell you they really work!

                                                         (Click to embiggen)

 I can recommend almost all of these except for #9 (obviously) and #5 (What? You mean like become a ghost or something?) Anyway, I have saved this to my desktop and whenever I'm feeling stuck or in a creative slump I will try a thing or two from the list and inevitably a genius idea will develop. (Harrison Fjord, anyone?). 

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along to my fellow creative wannabes out there in the hopes that it will help you as much as it has helped me.  Love, Jordan

1 comment:

  1. I actually do a lot of the list you posted. I love to read what you write and see the world from Jordan's perspective. I actually think it is the lot of creative people who have been forced to fit the pegs of a conformist world to long for that creative that they feel they lack or have lost somehow. I know I often feel that way. Great post!

    ReplyDelete