Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 2- A Favorite Movie!

It should come as no surprise that one of our family's favorite movies is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It is the only movie that Harry will sit down and watch for as long as we'll let him, which is fine with us because it never gets old.
Sadly, the scenes with Harry and I were cut do to a contractual dispute.

Although I do enjoy Tim Burton's re-imagining of the story I'd argue that the original version is far superior comedically, message-wise and musically. Sorry, Danny Elfman. I consider myself a fan of yours but I can't understand a thing that your Oompa Loompas are saying. I don't want to have to get out my copy of the book to follow along with the lyrics. Perhaps you've underestimated just how lazy I am.


Also, Gene Freaking Wilder and orange Oompa Loompas!

Admittedly, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (which is the title of the book by Roald Dahl and Tim Burton's film) is far more true to the book. I think the old movie teaches a much better lesson than the other versions. In all versions the rotten kids are ultimately done in by their individual evil traits, (Augustus=gluttony, Veruca=greed etc.) which is a good lesson in itself. But, at the end of Willy Wonka, we are rewarded with this amazing scene. Charlie DESERVES that factory. Nothing in the book or newer movie comes close to the power of scene with its lesson in selfless honesty and redemption.
Or the brilliance of Mr. Turkentine for that matter

1 comment:

  1. You know, the best part of that video is..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFo-idElMI#t=2m1s

    Also, in regard to the Tim Burton version. I was so very excited because I love Burton's work. He has that dark demented slant on things. I was so disappointed, because he chose Depp to play Mr. Wonka. While they usually work well together, Depp came off as just a crazy person, he didn't have that 'about to be a murderer' mentality that I so loved when Wilder played the role.

    Wonka would have been so well played by Christopher Walken.

    ReplyDelete